This below information covers off most of the questions that normally arise when a tenant is considering renting a property.
When you start looking for rental accommodation, you should allow enough time to find a suitable property as well as a minimum of two weeks to complete the application and referencing processes. In certain instances, it may be possible to organise a tenancy within a shorter timescale.
Referencing includes an affordability calculation. Your annual earnings (as an individual or as a couple) from provable acceptable sources must be equal to or more than 2.5 times the annual rent. If you fall short of these figures, your application may be acceptable if you have a UK guarantor and earns a minimum of 3 times the annual rent. It is common for tenants to pay rent in advance if they do not meet the financial referencing criteria. Your Bruton Property representative can advise you further on this issue.
Bruton Property operates a policy of considering all tenants fairly based on suitability and affordability. In order to apply this policy, we may require information regarding your particular circumstances in order to ascertain your suitability and affordability to discuss with the landlord who will make the final decision to proceed with any tenancy.
If a situation arises where more than one party is interested in the same property, the Landlord will make the final decision on which tenant to choose.
When viewing, you must consider the property carefully and ensure that you check exactly what is and is not included in the furnishings and fixtures.
Any discussions or correspondence with the owner, or our staff, are expressly deemed to be subject to application, reference and contract. A current tenant cannot speak on behalf of the landlord or Bruton Property.
Once you have selected a property which you would like to rent, you should contact Bruton Property to submit your offer details such as the:
Rental amount, Move-in-date, Tenancy length, Payment terms, special conditions etc.
Once agreed with the landlord, we will require:
• Confirmation of personal details and contact information - This will be required for everyone who will be residing at the property over the age of 18
• Proof of identity - This is a legal requirement under Anti Money Laundering Regulations and Immigration Act 2014 Right to Rent legislation and without the required identification your application cannot be processed
• ID will be required for each adult applying to rent the property. Both personal ID and address verification will be required. If you are unsure what is required or whether you have suitable ID please speak to a Bruton Property representative
• Personal ID - Valid passport or equivalent and a valid visa where applicable
• Address Verification - Current UK driving license showing current address Or up to date utility bill with current address
• Holding Deposit - You will be required to complete the initial paperwork and pay a holding deposit to reserve the property. The holding deposit will be the equivalent of 1 week's rent
You will be required to complete online application forms and pass a credit check and referencing process. We use an external company to carry out this process.
They provide us with the following information:
• Voters roll registration at current or previous addresses
• Details of any previous bankruptcy in the last 5 years
• Details of other searches and financial transactions
• Full credit score information
• Right to Rent Check – Immigration Act 2014
• Full employers reference, commencement date and salary
• Previous/current Letting Agent or landlord report (where applicable)
• Compilations and assessment of all available information
• Recommendation on applicants suitability for the tenancy
We will contact you once all references and checks have been carried out to discuss potential move-in dates, however, should you require an update - please call our team on 020 7459 4696.
Important: If you have a specific date or timetable to move in, this must be advised at the application stage. However, no guarantees can be given as to a move in date until all references and checks have been satisfied.
NB: We cannot under any circumstances, divulge to you any information obtained from the credit reference other than to say that it was satisfactory or not satisfactory. Every tenancy is subject to Right To Rent Checks. This is just a guide and should not be solely relied upon. Content subject to change.